Tuesday 9 July 2013

Day 8 - Bateson Blogs!

Hola amigos!  So then......... It's my turn to write today's blog. So to start with I'm loving the breakfasts. You can't beat some crusty bread and real butter and the scrambled eggs are gorgeous. I'm not seeing the problem with that really.  Someone had asked for something different to scrambled eggs and it was quite exciting to see boiled eggs out as well ha ha.  

The bus rides to the barrio project are great fun.  Full of silly games like 'Celebrity' and 'snaps'.  I love being at the project.  I'm thinking its my favourite part of the trip.  Our first job today was to empty all the classroom furniture from the top classroom into the old church hall.  Every single one of us worked up a right sweat in minutes.  It was hard work but so good to be doing physical labour.  I love it. After that we all separated to different jobs.  Some moving rubble, some sanding and painting the classroom scenes and others went for their walk round the barrio. 

I went outside into the barrio to paint the outside wall of the nursery.  This was my first go at painting here and it was fun.  Within minutes I had a blue face and was just generally multicoloured.  My first challenge was to identify with Lucy the colours of the rainbow.  I never realised the nursery school version I've stuck to all my life isn't real! Who knew indigo and violet were actually important colours! Painting there in the community with locals walking past going about their daily business was touching. I feel comfortable here and contented and as usual I didn't want to leave to go back for lunch.

Lunch was FISH.  Those of you that know me will understand my ultimate sadness and this was shared by the majority of students.  It was made better at tea time though with fried chicken and chips,I've  never seen kids eat so fast!  The major problem with today is the mosquito bites everyone has.  Some people have been munched more than others and they are sore and itchy not to mention totally awful to look at.  Oh well ...........

The children's centre isn't what I expected at all.  It's like an oasis of innocence, wonder and safety.  No matter how tired, hungry, sticky or homesick you're feeling, two minutes in the company of these children is an instant remedy. They just want to join in and play.  Playing is such a simple treasure that I rarely see now in the UK and to see our students just playing without a care in the world for anyone or anything is amazing.  The enjoyment, satisfaction and instant fulfilment they get from teaching them crafts, playing football, smiling for a photo or just drawing with a crayon is touching.  Not to mention exhausting.  Honest, Our students on the trip are amazing!  Every parent, teacher, friend and relative should know they would be so proud to see them giving love, laughter and comfort in this little haven.

So as I sit here writing my first ever blog as the rest of the group sing 'let it be' I'm thinking WOWSA.  This is special.  This group of staff and students are sharing a truly magical, memorable and unique experience that will stay with each and everyone of us for a lifetime.  It's truly been a privilege to spend time with this group of students. To sum up my time in Peru so far; BEAUTIFUL! 

Over and out amigos xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment