Tuesday 2 July 2013

Day 1 - Getting settled

Well, it's currently showing 3:03am on my ipad at the moment, which is making it roughly just after 10 here in Iquitos! 

I have been watching an excellent program called Wonders of the Universe recently and it's opening titles has Prof Brian Cox explaining that even though mans journey may only be a few thousand years old, as we are all made of atoms our actual journey is a few million years old, and this depth was reflected in Mr Morans reflection tonight! 

This has been an almighty effort to get here today, not only in terms of time from when we met at Newcastle Airport, but when I think back to applying to come to Peru during my NQT year and then withdrawing my application from Mr O'Neil due to the strain it would cause on my new teaching commitments, and even further back to the various decisions and circumstances in my life that got me here today.

Every student here has worked so hard to get here, sacrificed and committed over and over again, not only to raise the money, but for their decisions and circumstances in the past which made them believe this was a fruitful endeavour, and as what they learnt and see here will now doubt effect their future, it goes to show life isn't about the destination, it is truly about the journey!

After arriving here in the early hours this morning our afternoon was broken up into two parts, firstly surveying the work we would be doing in the coming fortnight, a big task but the enthusiasm, passion, planning and belief from those out here is infectious and we can't wait to get started! Secondly we then visited the orphanage we will be teaching in and you will all be hearing from everyone today in due course how they played, laughed, giggled and wheezed through one of the most fun hours of their lives! 

I'm lucky enough to have cousins and a goddaughter who have just arrived on the world and when I can I love to spend my time, effort and energy on them. Today we all got to do that with children who never may have had the above qualities shown on them! Their laughter will ring in my ears for a longtime as it was a magical afternoon ill never forget!

Tomorrow could be an interesting day as due to a public strike we are leaving the city early to take an hour boat ride on the amazon! 

Thanks for reading, I shall try and update this daily but as I'm now approaching 48 hours awake with only 3 hours of broken sleep (mainly thanks to panpipes moods being played!) I am going to retire to my pit!

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment